Benjamin Franklin Senior High

5/10

DIVERSITY RANK ?

2/10

Student body

Student body ethnicity ?
    • Enrollment: 1,682 students
    • Free and reduced-price lunch: 61.5% ?
    • English language learners: 14.1%
    • Diversity rank: 2/10 ?
    Source: 2012-13 state data

Faculty

• Total teachers: 73
    • Student-teacher ratio: 23:1 ?
    Source: 2012-13 state data

Schoolwide Performance

Academic Performance Index (API) ?
    Unofficial Rank: 5/10 ?
    Source: 2008-2013 state data
    California Standards Tests (STAR) ?
    Students scoring "proficient" or above:

2013

2012

2011

2010

2009

• Students in advanced math: 46% ?
  • No Child Left Behind (AYP) ?
    Fail: Missed nine of 18 federal targets for 2012

Fail: Missed seven of 20 federal targets for 2011

Fail: Missed five of 18 federal targets for 2010

Fail: Missed nine of 18 federal targets for 2009

Fail: Missed seven of 18 federal targets for 2008

Fail: Missed two of 18 federal targets for 2007

SAT Reasoning Test ?
    Source: 2011-2012 state data reported for 170 participants
    Math: 438   Reading: 423   Writing: 429
    Source: 2010-2011 state data reported for 221 participants
    Math: 450   Reading: 435   Writing: 439
    Source: 2009-2010 state data reported for 207 participants
    Math: 421   Reading: 420   Writing: 422

Magnet: Franklin Math/Science/Technology Magnet

This school         State avg. ?
    California Standards Test (STAR) ?
    Students scoring proficient or above:
    Source: 2009 data from LAUSD

Nearby schools

Click for more information
      KEY    Charter    Private    Public

10 comments about Benjamin Franklin Senior High

after 25 years, the school has not changed very few student do make it and a whole lot fail due to overcrowded and gang related issues. I have nieces and nephews attended LAUSD and had failed/dropped out. I blame the parents, teachers and the individual because its a team effort and if one fails the system also fails. I can't comprehend why people dont care!

— Pat
      June 7, 2010 at 6:15 p.m.

20:1 ratio? More like 25:1 in the Magnet, and 45:1 in the regular school. This school has the potential to be fantastic, and the Magnet is fairly good. However, it's essentially a leaderless school; Administrators are a lazy and apathetic bunch, with virtually no interest in academics. It should also be of great concern that this school is in a violent gang territory, with shootings in the vicinity nearly every day and a sizable gang population on campus. Yet, there are two female campus aids and no Administrators patrolling the graffiti littered halls.

— Teacher
      May 15, 2010 at 10:07 p.m.

I am so proud Of my son Raymond Rivera. He will suceed in the future. There goes another name to add to the list of proud graduates.

— Parent & class of '91
      March 16, 2010 at 11:08 a.m.

How fantastic! I am so proud of Franklin's staff and students! Good Luck this weekend!

Si Se Puede!!

— Class of 1999
      March 15, 2010 at 10:54 a.m.

Reading this gives article, I must say that the school, students, parents, teachers, and staff have done a great justice to the community. Keep striving for higher goals! This is just the start of a new era for the school, community, and most importantly, the students! Way to go BENJAMIN FRANKLIN HIGH SCHOOL!

— J. A., Alumni '87
      March 14, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.

Currently attending Franklin High School, I've noticed that there are many teachers that are pushing you and driving you insane just to do your best. I'm honored to have the opportunity to be enrolled into the Magnet academy and to have such supporting teachers by my side. Even though my grades aren't as well as I thought they would be, but with the knowledge I'm gaining, I realized that the grades doesn't really matter much. It all comes down to the knowledge I've gain.

— Student
      March 13, 2010 at 10:12 p.m.

WOW WOW This shows my old school can be with BEST of the schools. No more putting down now FRANKLIN. GRAD 1964

— David Baird
      March 13, 2010 at 6:56 p.m.

I have two kids at this school and their experience has been great. I transferred them both from a magnet school and they are doing much better here. Great teachers and a lot of great after school activities. I love it!

— Parent
      March 28, 2009 at 2:23 p.m.

Franklin has had some very proud graduates, LAPD Chief Gates, LASD Sheriff Baca, City Attorney Delgadillo

— Alex Arredondo
      November 18, 2008 at 9:40 p.m.

this school has some awesome teachers that help you and others who are okay but the ones i know are the best

— someone concerned
      September 20, 2008 at 4:52 p.m.

Share your knowledge

• Tell us who you are (parent, student, faculty).

• Describe this school's strengths and weaknesses.

• What do the state's data not show about this school? Help us fill in the blanks.

California Schools Guide is the Los Angeles Times' database of test scores, demographics and reader comments about California's public, charter and private schools.

Find a School

Find a school near...

Or, search all schools by name

Build Your Own Ranking

1. Pick a county
      2. Pick a statistic
      Share The Data

To embed data about Benjamin Franklin Senior High on another website, paste the following HTML into the page.

About The Data Desk

This page was created by the Data Desk, a team of reporters and Web developers in downtown L.A.