San Pedro Senior High

6/10

DIVERSITY RANK ?

5/10

Student body

Student body ethnicity ?
    • Enrollment: 2,771 students
    • Free and reduced-price lunch: 50.3% ?
    • English language learners: 5.8%
    • Diversity rank: 5/10 ?
    Source: 2012-13 state data

Faculty

• Total teachers: 115
    • Student-teacher ratio: 24:1 ?
    Source: 2012-13 state data

Schoolwide Performance

Academic Performance Index (API) ?
    Unofficial Rank: 6/10 ?
    Source: 2008-2013 state data
    California Standards Tests (STAR) ?
    Students scoring "proficient" or above:

2013

2012

2011

2010

2009

• Students in advanced math: 17% ?
  • No Child Left Behind (AYP) ?
    Fail: Missed eight of 22 federal targets for 2012

Fail: Missed eight of 22 federal targets for 2011

Fail: Missed seven of 22 federal targets for 2010

Fail: Missed seven of 22 federal targets for 2009

Fail: Missed two of 22 federal targets for 2008

Fail: Missed seven of 19 federal targets for 2007

SAT Reasoning Test ?
    Source: 2011-2012 state data reported for 261 participants
    Math: 468   Reading: 466   Writing: 472
    Source: 2010-2011 state data reported for 280 participants
    Math: 457   Reading: 449   Writing: 457
    Source: 2009-2010 state data reported for 217 participants
    Math: 481   Reading: 476   Writing: 471

Magnet: San Pedro Marine/Math/Science/Technology Magnet

This school         State avg. ?
    California Standards Test (STAR) ?
    Students scoring proficient or above:
    Source: 2009 data from LAUSD

Magnet: San Pedro Police Academy Magnet

This school         State avg. ?
    California Standards Test (STAR) ?
    Students scoring proficient or above:
    Source: 2009 data from LAUSD

Nearby schools

Click for more information
      KEY    Charter    Private    Public

11 comments about San Pedro Senior High

For some students, school was their escape from home life. I think that teachers are there to teach the lessons and to be aware of students that are having a hard time adjusting to school life. It's sad that there were some [ fellow students]at San Pedro High that had it better than others, and because of clicks, placed the lesser students in a catagory and turned them away.
      Yes, this happens in the "real world", however, I would like to think that when a teacher sees a troubled teen, they would try and help that student in any way they could to succeed. Back in the 70's, I never saw anything to that affect. I would also hope that San Pedro High has changed to were teachers are more intentive in helping ALL students prepare for collage and for life. I think this would help, as a whole, our community and society.

— Paul "Mike" Casey
      December 16, 2009 at 9:52 a.m.

I graduated from SPHS in 1968 and feel that I got a good education there. The teachers didn't babysit us..they made us work! Nobody cared if we were depressed or upset,we were simply expected to do our best every day, in every class. What does it tell you that we have spent so much time and money trying to make our children feel good about themselves that they now think that they are entitled to everything with a minimum of effort?
      The school was its own community. People cared about each other as opposed to now when most people just walk around with a self-absorbed, inward turned look on their face. It's really sad what things done in the name of progress have reduced the learning experience to. Really very sad.

— Katie
      December 10, 2009 at 8:44 a.m.

I attended San Pedro High School back in the 70's and there was very little offered as to an "intervention" program for students that were, let's say, anti-social; or not knowing how to be more active in different school activities. No one [staff] would take the time to help those childern, like myself, who were lost within the social mores of everyday life in high school. MAYBE this has changed since the 70's. However, for me, and students like myself, have had to over-come and make the best out of our life without the help that, I believe, could have been corrected back when we were in San Pedro High School.
      I did not complete my education at San Pedro High. I later got my G.E.D. from another school; one that, I feel, really cared about helping me to succeed.

— Paul "MIKE" Casey
      November 23, 2009 at 9:49 a.m.

I went to school there in the early 70's , graduating in 1973. I have stayed in the area since and have seen my three kids go the the school.. When I was there i screwed up and thought that a party was the better place to be..Bavk then skipping school and going to the beach was the thing to do amongst the friends that I had. Although I felt that I was smart my problem was that I thought that I was too smart and didn't need school..In my mind school was a waste of time. Now I know how stupid I was.Although I have been lucky in my life to suceed in that life school is what you put into it.San pedro High school is a good school. My kids ( one graduated from sphs and the other 2 are current students) have done well and are doing well at sphs.Its too easy to blame the school or the teachers for student failures when in fact the students themselves are part of the blame.As soon as we all figure out that a good education is not a given but something that we have to strive for. Its there , all we have to do is reach out for the opportunity that this school and our education system in general has to offer..The big percentage of our educators in this country are sincere in their work and are doing the best job they can under circumstances that we may or may not uderstand..Give them all a break and stop trying to find fault in places outside our homes.

— Jasper
      November 6, 2009 at 7:37 p.m.

My daughter went to this school for four years and it's up to the student to overcome ALL obstacles in life...it's true it's over-populated, it's true that BUSSING should stop, it's true why build a new gymnasium instead of substituting the bungalows, or instead invest in AC for the classrooms...SPHS is a school of great scholars, great people, great families...it's ALL UP TO THE STUDENT :-)

— NO
      October 20, 2009 at 2:21 p.m.

There's a new principal now! lets see how she turns out....and it really shouldn't affect any student with graduating or getting pregnant whether or not there are bad students from other schools! All students fail because they want to, it's all up to the student to make the right choices! People have done it before...so why can't others when they have nothing that they don't have.

— Anonymous
      October 15, 2009 at 9:32 p.m.

The anonymous poster who said it is the worst in the district is wrong. What makes the school bad is all of the students that are bussed in on a daily basis. San Pedro does not need students from Watts, South Central, and East LA. Let them go to their schools where they belong. Many of these students are disciplinary transfers or are given "permits: because they are good in sports but lacking in intelligence.

San Pedro High used to be great, when there were restriction on bussing and such. Keep kids in their own neighborhoods. Who cares if Garfield, Locke, or Jefferson have 6000 students. Then the district should build another school out there instead of sending San Pedro the reject and left over students

— Letting People Know
      September 29, 2009 at 12:55 a.m.

The cross-country team here is excellent. It's a good school if you take the advanced classes, like the Advanced Placement and Honors classes. You really have to know how to take your classes and the teachers to get. Regular classes should be avoided.

Make sure your child doesn't fall in with the wrong people! It's not the teacher's fault if your child gets pregnant. (Unless, well, the teacher knocks up your child.)

(This was written by a former student. As for the gym that was built instead of classrooms, it's a waste of money. Unless your child is a basketball player.)

— Anon
      March 9, 2009 at 5:33 p.m.

The school has to be one of the worst in the district. The teachers, at least the majority of them, do not really know how to teach and allow so much to slide by. Working the system requires no effort and thus sets up students for even greater failures in higher education assuming they even graduate from the high school. Drop out rate seems to be at least 50% if not more. Pregnancy rate is also extremely high for a high school. In closing, a terrible school that should be avoided at all cost!

— Anonymous
      October 12, 2008 at 7:26 p.m.

Went there for four years, not at all surprised by these low results.

— Anon
      October 12, 2008 at 7:23 p.m.

I like the new Principal...he's straightening things up that fell apart during the last administration.

— Kelly
      September 4, 2008 at 2:38 p.m.

Share your knowledge

• Tell us who you are (parent, student, faculty).

• Describe this school's strengths and weaknesses.

• What do the state's data not show about this school? Help us fill in the blanks.

California Schools Guide is the Los Angeles Times' database of test scores, demographics and reader comments about California's public, charter and private schools.

Find a School

Find a school near...

Or, search all schools by name

Build Your Own Ranking

1. Pick a county
      2. Pick a statistic
      Share The Data

To embed data about San Pedro Senior High on another website, paste the following HTML into the page.

About The Data Desk

This page was created by the Data Desk, a team of reporters and Web developers in downtown L.A.