Aspire Benjamin Holt College Preparatory Academy

10/10

DIVERSITY RANK ?

10/10

Student body

Student body ethnicity ?
    • Enrollment: 699 students
    • Free and reduced-price lunch: 37.0% ?
    • English language learners: 1.4%
    • Diversity rank: 10/10 ?
    Source: 2012-13 state data

Faculty

• Total teachers: 28
    • Student-teacher ratio: 25:1 ?
    Source: 2012-13 state data

Performance

Academic Performance Index (API) ?
    Unofficial Rank: 10/10 ?
    Source: 2008-2013 state data
    California Standards Tests (STAR) ?
    Students scoring "proficient" or above:

2013

2012

2011

2010

2009

• Students in advanced math: 76% ?
  • No Child Left Behind (AYP) ?
    Fail: Missed two of 19 federal targets for 2012

Fail: Missed three of 26 federal targets for 2011

Fail: Missed 0 of 22 federal targets for 2010, but has yet to report a graduation rate

Pass: Met federal targets for 2009

Pass: Met federal targets for 2008

Pass: Met federal targets for 2007

SAT Reasoning Test ?
    Source: 2011-2012 state data reported for 51 participants
    Math: 501   Reading: 492   Writing: 495
    Source: 2010-2011 state data reported for 40 participants
    Math: 500   Reading: 494   Writing: 485
    Source: 2009-2010 state data reported for 34 participants
    Math: 508   Reading: 493   Writing: 488

Nearby schools

Click for more information
      KEY    Charter    Private    Public

24 comments about Aspire Benjamin Holt College Preparatory Academy

I am a current student at Ben Holt, I'm glad to say I've been with aspire since first grade and I love it. I know I sound like a nerd, but I like the work and all the fun things we do that other schools can't. I just wish our school wasn't so hard core, I know it's a college prep school, but i know college for a fact isn't as hard core as this school is.... My mom is in college now and she has less work than me.
      But I guess it will all pay off for me to be at this school... I hope.

— Moriah Ortiz
      January 20, 2011 at 4:43 p.m.

I have been a student at this school for 2 years now, i am in 8th grade. Though i have been with Aspire since kindergarten. I believe this school has a strict policy about uniforms but they have good reason to do so. Our school is ment to prepare us all for college and were all at a higher standard then most. This school is not easy, it takes focus and the strive to be a good student. The reason our uniform policy is so strict is so that no one dresses looking like they're in a gang, and that we all stay safe. Yes it isn't awesome not to be able to wear red or blue, but when a student here wore red shoes a gang jumped him just for that. Which has made the policy more strict. The experiences you have at Ben Holt you will never forget.

— Happy Student
      November 21, 2010 at 1:16 p.m.

There are students who complain about the uniform policy, strict teachers, ridiculous bathroom policy, and bucket loads of homework we receive, but they fail to recognize the meaning of it all. Honestly, as a student has been a part of the public school system from preschool to 8th grade, I'm relieved to be a part of BHCPA. The only thing that I can think of that would be a defect of this school is that, as a result of the cramped space and small population, there tends to be a conservative vibe in which students have to keep most problems and dramas to themselves unless they want it to be heard throughout the whole school. Other than that, I have come to accept the fact that this is an ACADEMICALLY driven school. We offer NO sports. However, because of that, the administration allows you to join other public school's sports teams such as: McNair, Bear Creek, Chavez, etc. Of course, it depends on who's district you reside in.

Anyways, since we're an academically driven school, we strive to be successful enough in high school so that we can easily get into any college we want. Any class you take from 6th-8th prepares you for your classes in 9th-12th. Any class you take in 9th-12th, prepares you for the challenges that lie ahead in the college you choose to go into, or in some cases, even Delta.

Aside from classes, the uniform policy is strictly enforced in order to shield any student from social discrimination, or from being distracted from their studies with one's own physical image. If we all look horrible together, then who has the right to judge anyone? However, I do admit that there are some redundant rules that don't make sense, but don't forget that it is also parents' complaints and commentary of how "professional" we look that affect our rules as well. You can blame the uniform policy on the administration as much as you want, but they're only doing it because the majority of parents want to see it in place.

As for teachers, I understand that there will always be misunderstandings between a student and a teacher. My advice:

Deal with it. As your grow up, you don't make excuses and complaints to your bosses, you just do it their way, how they want it unless you converse with them otherwise. If you can muster up the strength, and speak in a calm, logical manner, teachers are willing make negotiations with a lot of laughs and smiles. The way that I've seen it, teachers will be nice to you if you show respect for them. They have their own expectations for you, so don't disappoint them. And like any other high school/middle school out there, there are teachers who we don't like and teachers that we do like. The only difference is that Aspire teachers care whether you're learning or not. And some just care a little bit too much sometimes. But hey, better than nothing.

And as for fights, the administration expects you to learn from your mistakes and move on. I'm sure you don't need an adult to baby you your whole life, right?

— One Happy Voice
      November 8, 2010 at 11:41 p.m.

I hate this school. The homework is way too advanced in unimaginable quantities and ugh the uniforms need to be burned blehh i hate this school

— Haha...no
      August 14, 2010 at 7:25 p.m.

To be honest, this school is really not too excellent. Sure we have great academics, but they go to the extreme. Its hard to focus on life and im just about to enter the 8th grade. I had 3 emotional breakdowns where i would just stop and cry because i had too much work. I am a christian and i have church on wednesdays and they have us so swamped with work i often had to miss church to get my work done. The uniform policy is too strict. If they let us have free dress but with some prohibited things we'd be fine! This year we lost 4 or 5 students just from the 7th grade. One of them having a special condition and had to leave because the school was so stressful that they were having problems with the condition which i shall not name! Do you want to send your kid to a school that causes conditions to act up?

— Anonymous
      June 24, 2010 at 12:51 a.m.

i think that this schol is not the best. okay we all get it, UNIFORMS SUCK! so im not going to go into detail about that. but uniforms aren't the only issue! there are teachers too. some are really nice and caring and are personal with you and foster connections, but one teachers yell and get in our space and makes worng jokes and cusses and stuff, and i tell the dean and she doent make it stop. its almost the end of the year and the issue was brought up at the beggining! plus, if there is a big issue, she doent really do a good job at helping it. no matter what the problem is, she always make me feel like its my fault and can be rude. the office staff have no idea whats going on and have eye-rolling ignoring attitudes. it the staff that also take away from this school.

— anonomous student
      May 8, 2010 at 10:53 p.m.

THIS IS A GOOD SCHOOL...BUT IT HAS ITZ DEFECTS...THE TEACHERS THINK THEY CAN CONTROL YOU OR WHAT YOU...THEY CANT REALLY TELL YOU WHO TO HANG OUT WIHT OR WHAT YOU CAN OR CAN NOT DO....THE DEAN OF THE SCHOOL THINKS SHE CAN TELL YOU WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO BUT SHE CANT BECAUSE SHE ISNT YOUR PARENT...BUT INDEED SHE WOULD MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE AND ACT LIKE SHE IS YOUR PARENT WHEN REALLY SHE ISNT..ALSO THE UNIFORM THEY ARE REALLY STRICT...ITZ STILL A GOOD SCHOOL BECAUSE IT GETS YOU TO COLLEGE AND ALSO YOU CAN GET A SCHOLARSHIP FROM THIS SCHOOL...,BUT YOU HAVE TO DO GOOD AND WANT TO DO GOOD..

— student
      November 13, 2009 at 9:42 p.m.

Most students complain and complain about this so called "strict school," the one thing most students do not understand about Ben Holt is that it is an academic focused school. No sports, but there are local high schools who accepts our students. Well for uniforms, ok they are too strict about it, i mean socks? belts? under shirts? but other than that our intelligence has bumped up more than we ourselves expected it to be. Why complain when the reason behind ben holt is to get us far? If that's a problem for you, then maybe it is time to slow down and take a look at the school's purpose all over again. College for certain!

— Student
      July 29, 2009 at 8:05 p.m.

WELL THIS SCHOOL IS ACTUALLY A GOOD SCHOOL FOR A PARENT WHO WANTS THERE KID TO NOT BE SOCIAL TO NOT BE ACTIVE IN SPORTS TO NOT BE INVOLVED IN CLUBS TO NOT BE READY TO THE SOCIAL WORLD THAT LIES BEYOND HIGH SCHOOL. THIS SCHOOL IS A GOOD THING BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF NEGATIVE THINGS TO IT AS WELL. MYSELF BEING A PREVIOUS STUDENT IN THE ASPIRE SCHOOL SYSTEM I HAVE BEEN THERE FROM THE VERY START, FROM WHEN UNIVERSITY PUBLIC SCHOOL STARTED AT MORADA MARKET. SINCE THEN TO 8TH GRADE I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THE ASPIRE SYSTEM BUT I DID NOT LIKE THE FACT THAT THE HIGH SCHOOL HAD TOO MUCH CONTROL ON THE STUDENTS. THEY ACT AS IF THE STUDENTS THAT ATTEND THE SCHOOL ARE IMATURE, WELL THEY ARENT! THESE ARE SOME OF THE BRIGHTEST STUDENTS THAT I KNOW AND IT MAKES NO SENSE TO CUT THEM A LITTLE SLACK FROM HERE AND THEN. THE FACULTY IS COMPRISED OF GOOD TEACHERS YES BUT ITS THE SCHOOL SYSTEM ITSELF THAT LACKS THE CORRECT COMBINATION OF FREEDOM FOR THE STUDENTS AND THE ABILITY TO "CHOOSE" WHAT PATH ONE WANTS TO TAKE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

— RAFAEL ORDAZ
      July 29, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.

Rafael Ordaz Was the best part of this high school. When he left in 8th grade things began to go downhill from there. I was without a b/f and was lonely throughout my high school life. I missed him everyday he was not there. I LOVE YOU RAFAEL. YOU made BHCPA great!!!

— Feel Spain
      July 29, 2009 at 5:39 p.m.

Despite the uniforms, what it all boils down to is opportunity and education. Ben Holt has provided many of us with opportunities to get out hands on and better ourselves for out future.

over the years being at ben holt i have noticed that many of us are too immature to realize the goodness of the school, therefore we aren't thankful. Holt has soo much more potential in it that picking it apart for its uniforms is ridiculous and very childish. Sure uniforms may not be the best thing they school has to offer but it does serve a purpose we are there to learn not to impress.
      We ahve the advatage of being like a family with eachother and the teachers know each and every individual student and their personalities. they are for the students and notice when somethings up. they want their students to succeed and go above and beyond to make that happen.
      Sure i might have complained while attending holt, but if it wasn't for attending holt i wouldn't be where i am today, and i am thankful for that. It was worth it in the end.

— c/o 08
      July 29, 2009 at 4:51 p.m.

Contrary to popular opinion of students who currently or have attended this school, it is probably the best thing that has occurred in the Stockton/Lodi Unified School District since the war of 1812. Having attended the Aspire Public School system since second grade I've seen it all in regards to their style of education and shallow consensus generated by Ben Holt's student. A majority of the student's at Ben Holt fail to realize how critical this school is to their future, and base it on the mere fact that the school's administration is particularly strict about the uniform policy. Other than that, the school is spectacular and will remain so for years to come. I am glad to attend the school and hope other students attending will be endowed with the gratitude of having the opportunity to attend such an awesome school. 2010 FTW.

— Studious Student
      July 22, 2009 at 10:52 p.m.

I dont really like this school... its like a bad day in cycles

— student
      June 27, 2009 at 6:42 p.m.

i hate this school i hate it hate it hate it!!all those bitches who say its a good school shut the hell up u dont know any crap bout this stupid skewl!!im glad im leavin this crappy sckewl..good bye bitches!!!!

— vannessa
      June 21, 2009 at 11:45 p.m.

uhhhh i dont go to my school but my friend will. Shes scared. soooooo EAT AVOCADOS

— Millie
      June 2, 2009 at 4:36 p.m.

This school is not a very good school at all. The uniforms are a dumb idea, and a lot of teachers like yelling about the students. The office seems like they never know what the heck is going on and they schedule things way too late. The security is also very weak, they couldn't stop any fights at all. Everyone that doesn't go here thinks this school is awesome but really it makes most of the students not want to learn at all. In addition there are many high school teachers who are extremely ignorant and often make the entire class hate her guts, and wears way too low-cut shirts to be even in a school let alone teaching a class. They make studs turn into nerds. Most of the other teachers, especially junior and up, are the only and I DO mean only good thing about coming to this hellhole. Even though they have good numbers it is still a miserable place to me and if this is how college is going to be then I am definitely not going.

— Maxwell Wolfe
      May 22, 2009 at 10:50 a.m.

I think this school is not the best school. Everybody bitches about the uniform policy which is a good idea because it sucks. The school is also painted some ugly purple and yellow and is portables sunk into the ground. It makes me feel like I'm in a special ed school. There are fights almost every day, I often come home with black eyes but my parents still force me to go here because it has good numbers.

— Johnathan Elson
      May 22, 2009 at 10:41 a.m.

this school really is going the wrong way with uniforms and teachers. i do like the academic stuff they teach us but with all the rules and ****, it will soon make the students vandalize the school

— caution: back up or die
      March 31, 2009 at 9:17 p.m.

I've had a great experience here. I'm taking college courses and the school pays for them. When I graduate, I'll have enough units to have an AA degree and can transfer as a junior to a 4-year university. As for teachers, every school has strong and not so strong, but as long as I've been going here, there are a large number of teachers that have remained and I've learned a great deal from them. Not just academics but practical, real life things. Yea, there's no sports - well actually there are, you can try out for the local high school if you live in their area - but I'm here to get a college prep education. And that's what I'm getting. We're ranked among the top 2 schools in central valley for a reason! (and yes, I'll be happy to wear my final uniform - a graduation robe!). It's not for everyone, but then again, kids should have a choice of where they go so they go to the right school for them.

— Happy Student
      March 28, 2009 at 7:02 p.m.

I need to fix something i went to this school since 3rd grade.....but now its a middle school and a high school....well yea i dont really like theis school at first but before it was all cool until it got uniforms and got more strict.....

— tiffany halaufia
      January 30, 2009 at 12:51 p.m.

i came to this school in the 6th grade and now im in highschool here. the school is a living hell. i understand that the school is trying to prepare us for college but they are going about it the wrong way. most of the students are miserable and its like they make up a new rule everyday. it is way too strict and teachers dont stay longer than 1 or 2 years. a lot of the teachers that i have had are bad teachers. there are no sports or good clubs. i dont need this school to go to a good college

— confidential
      December 11, 2008 at 5:55 p.m.

i NEVER liked going to that school.
      it sucks and i dont reccomend it to ANYONE. not even a hobo!

— confedential
      November 19, 2008 at 10:19 a.m.

well, i went to this school for 7 years. i started out in 4th grade and left my junior year. What started out as a fun living environment with no uniforms, fun, and cool teachers, turned into a strict college prep school.
      I think overall it it changed on the students after i was in 6th grade, and since then i think it changed for the worse. i simply couldnt stand being there any longer.
      i truly have to say that i really miss my friendships that i made there and i wish the best to everyone.

— anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 11:11 a.m.

i came to this school in the 8th grade now i am in 10th grade at bear creek.what i think of this school is that it is too strict about the school uniform and the bathroom policy....but my favorite teacher over there was mr chan because his class was fun....

— Tiffany halaufia
      November 5, 2008 at 10:06 a.m.

Share your knowledge

• Tell us who you are (parent, student, faculty).

• Describe this school's strengths and weaknesses.

• What do the state's data not show about this school? Help us fill in the blanks.

California Schools Guide is the Los Angeles Times' database of test scores, demographics and reader comments about California's public, charter and private schools.

Find a School

Find a school near...

Or, search all schools by name

Build Your Own Ranking

1. Pick a county
      2. Pick a statistic
      Share The Data

To embed data about Aspire Benjamin Holt College Preparatory Academy on another website, paste the following HTML into the page.

About The Data Desk

This page was created by the Data Desk, a team of reporters and Web developers in downtown L.A.